Start your career working with people with disabilities at Forward Journey. We are currently seeking Program Associates.
- Implements daily program and individualized activities for each participant using assistive technology (AT) devices and hand-over-hand assistance as needed to promote maximum participant engagement
- Prepares the physical environment for the daily activities, including gathering necessary materials for all activities
- Safely assists participants in meeting their physical needs. This includes toileting and personal hygiene, dressing, feeding, lifting, positioning and transferring, with or without the use of support equipment
- Performs routine paperwork and recordkeeping tasks in a timely and legible manner
- Maintains an orderly, clean, healthy program environment; assisting to clean furniture, material and equipment as needed/directed. Completes chores as assigned
- Plans and executes community outings, supports individuals during such trips, including driving the van; ensures participant badges and medications (as required) are taken on the outing and returned afterward
- Works cooperatively with all participants, family members, contractors, vendors, visitors and other staff
- Uses MOVE® skills to provide participants with appropriate activities and skill practice throughout the day
- Regular, reliable attendance
- Miscellaneous duties as assigned
Skills and Commitment
- Promotes participants’ feelings of dignity, security, and self-worth
- Effectively conducts developmental activities with participants
- Engages participants throughout the day in conversation and activities
- Promotes a safe, healthy and cooperative environment, focused on teamwork, not cliques
- Must have a commitment to excellence in all aspects of the job as a Program Associate
- Must demonstrate professionalism on the job at all times and maintain appropriate discretion
- Supports and adheres to ethical codes of conduct and agency policies and procedures
- Is compliant with state training requirements and able to attend in-service and other required training sessions as mandated (e.g. must complete MOVE basic provider training within one year of hire)
- Professionally represents our agency at all times, including but not limited to offsite activities such as community outings, training, and/or work events; this includes professional behavior, attire, and conversation
Education and Experience
- One year of experience working with individuals with disabilities preferred
- High School diploma is required, some college experience or certified training preferred
- Experience/willingness to learn non-verbal communications, assistive technology, and use of specialized equipment
Minimum standards in order to be hired by Forward Journey:
- Physically able to lift 140 lb. individual with two-person manual lift. Must pass HPE/Physical to confirm the capability
- Valid Driver’s License – must provide DMV record and pass DDDS standards to drive the van on outings with participants
- Must pass a variety of pre-employment checks including, but not limited to drug test, PPD test, criminal background check, reference check, and OIG, Adult & Child Abuse Registry checks
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. To ensure safe working conditions, personal protection equipment (PPE) required for this position includes hand protection; eye protection when handling material, and any other PPE that can reduce the possibility of injury.
Intent and Function of Position Description
We have reviewed this position description to ensure that only essential functions and basic duties are included. Peripheral tasks, only incidentally related to each position, have been excluded. The requirements, skills, and abilities in this description represent the minimal standards required to successfully perform the positions. However, in no instance should the duties, responsibilities, and requirements delineated be interpreted as all-inclusive. Supervisors may assign additional functions and requirements as deemed appropriate. Position descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. Forward Journey maintains its status as an at-will employer.
To apply, complete this application, sign, and send it with your resume to [email protected]. You can also mail or drop off to Forward Journey, 52 Reads Way, New Castle, DE 19720.