Become a Board Member
Forward Journey encourages interested community members to consider a term on our board of directors. The board acts as loyal ambassadors for our cause while also setting strategy, overseeing monthly finances to meet budget goals, and offering guidance to manage challenges or new initiatives.
Who can serve on the board of directors?
Forward Journey’s goal is to assemble a diverse cross-section of ethical, engaged individuals in our community who have a passion for what we do and the expertise, skills, connections, or experience to advance our mission. Please note that you must be 21 years of age or older and two family members cannot serve concurrently. Like all nonprofit organizations, the board of directors is a volunteer role. There’s no compensation and members will not have any financial interest in our organization.
What are the expectations?
Forward Journey board members make a commitment to:
- Understand the mission, vision, and values of Forward Journey
- Become familiar with our history and current organizational structure
- Be knowledgeable and current on participant programming
- Prioritize attendance and participation in scheduled board meetings
- Make talents, skills, and areas of expertise known and available
- Serve as an active member of at least one board committee
- Avoid involvement in administrative/operational issues that are the function of senior staff
- Monitor agency results to ensure they’re fiscally responsible and consistent with our mission
- Maintain independence and objectivity in decision making; dictated by a sense of fairness, ethics, and personal integrity
- Declare any potential conflicts of interest in a timely fashion
- Avoid the appearance of a conflict of interest
- Provide a personal donation to the extent of individual ability
- Use your personal influence with individuals, corporations, and foundations to support fundraising
- Volunteer at events
And most importantly, our board members take every opportunity to enhance the public standing of Forward Journey by serving as an advocate to family, friends, business associates, and other constituents; sharing the unique programming offered to adults with multiple, severe disabilities; and conveying the significant impact it has on their lives.
What is the time commitment?
Joining the Forward Journey board is a three-year commitment. After the term is up, with your permission, the board may nominate and elect you to serve another three-year term. You’re not eligible for nomination for one year after two consecutive terms.
Board meetings take place on the fourth Tuesday of each month from 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Normally there is no meeting in August or November. Due to the holidays, the December meeting is held on the first Tuesday of the month.
Board members must also actively participate in at least one committee:
- Fund Development
- Program Quality
- Board Expansion
Interested in one of our volunteer board positions? Contact us for more information.